Image via Wikipedia
Most children do not get the recommended amount of calcium in their diet. Additionally, vitamin D, which is essential for calcium absorption, has taken center stage recently in light of studies that show that it may help fight infections, prevent cancer, osteoporosis, thyroid disorders, diabetes and other autoimmune diseases.
1. How much calcium is recommended for children?
2. What about vitamin D?
3. My child will not or can not have milk, what can I do?
4. What about vitamin supplementation?
5. A few general considerations.
1. How much calcium is recommended per day? Continue reading
Image via Wikipedia
My daughter (now 13) went through her first year without a pacifier but on a family beach vacation with a raging fever I desperately offered her one to try to calm her. It was love at first suck. When she gave it up at 2 1/2 years old, I cried with her because it was so symbolic of babyhood gone. My middle son (now 10) chose his thumb. This was a habit MUCH more difficult to break and I wish he had used the binky instead. My youngest son (now 8) also took to the pacifier like a bee to honey and needed at least four in the crib so that he could sample each one for a few seconds deciding on just the right fit. When he gave it up, I did not cry but rather I celebrated that there would be no more pacifiers in my house to lose, clean or trash.
Ultimately, your decision regarding the pacifier is a personal choice. However, let’s look at the positives, the negatives, some basic considerations and some ways to move on once the time has come.
Follow me on Facebook.
There are many misconceptions about influenza or “the flu”. Test your knowledge with the TRUE-FALSE questions below.
1. Influenza illness is usually characterized by fever, headache, fatigue, body aches and dry cough. True or False?
2. If you have had “the flu” once, you can get it again in the same season. True or False?
3. There is no treatment for influenza. True or False?
4. The flu shot is only for the very young and the very old. True or False?
5. The nasal flu spray gives better protection than the flu shot.
True or False?
6. There are strains of H1N1 in this years flu vaccine. True or False?
7. Protection after receiving a flus shot starts within 24 hours. True or False?
And the answers are… Continue reading